Thursday, February 5, 2009

Life is Full of Difficult Decisionz!

I love this photo!! I didn't know what to do!!!
I have overcome my fear of roundabouts! They really make sense, and they are simple to use. They keep the flow of traffic going. I wish we had them at home. So yeah, I rented a car yesterday. After putting all my stuff in the boot, (the trunk for us Americans) I went to get in the car to drive away, and...I got in the wrong side. Boy did I feel stupid!! Luckily nobody saw me! Aaaahhh!! Maybe I shouldn't take to the streets of New Zealand! Anyway...driving on the opposite side is a breeze. I drove all afternoon yesterday. I was a little scared when I saw a mountain ahead that I had to cross over...but I made it! Super windy and steep. The max speed limit here is 100km/hr so you drive really slow, which makes it easier.
Today was Waitangi Day, which is the day the English took over the Maori people and NZ. Lots of stuff going on today. It was a great day. I will leave you with some food for thought...
So, most of you know my political feelings on government control, (if not, less government is better government to an extent.) Well, here in NZ (and a few other countries I have been to) the government decided that ALL employees should make more money if they work on weekends and public holidays. Okay. This shows the "people" that the government really truly cares about them. How nice! Here is the catch...All restaurants charge a surcharge of 15% on Sundays and Holidays to make up for the extra wages they have to pay. So really, it is the "people" that are paying the employees more, not the government. At least the restaurants can get away with this surcharge, I guess. Imagine owning a convenience store, or furniture store?!? Well, guess what....? Most of them don't open on Public Holidays! (my guess is that it is not financially beneficial to them.) Boy, do governments have a way of making themselves look like the hero, when in all actuality, we know the truth!

1 comment:

the hansons said...

You are going to be a PRO the next time you come to GR and hit the roundabouts here! Can't wait to see you!